Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reflection 8 EME 2040

I believe that a Philosophy of Education is extremely important for every person to have. As an educator, a philosophy of education is imperative. I believe this because I know that this will guide me in my teaching endeavors. It will also help me guide the students in their future endeavors in a way that I hope is positive. I also believe that your education philosophy should reflect on yourself and the students that you will be interacting with.
My personal educational philosophy is to help a child become the best students and person as possible. As an educator it will be my duty to do whatever I can to assist the students in my care to become the best students they can be. I am well aware that this will be something that is extremely challenging because every child is different and every child learns differently. I am also aware that students are going through different situations in their personal life that may have an impact on their learning. As an educator I must recognize these signs and find a way to work with the student so he or she can learn as much as possible. I feel that students learning as much as possible is extremely important because everyone knows that knowledge is power. Also, knowledge is success. We see example of this everyday in our lives. One such example is the current president of the United States, Barack Obama. Everyone knows how much education that he has and everyone knows that he could not get to where he is now with an education at his side. Our current president is living proof that a good education is imperative.
The example I gave has proven that education can change our lives for the better but with an education you can change the lives of the people around you also for the better. What I mean by changing the lives of people around is becoming a good influence on the people around. One thing that I have realized is the people in our lives have a great influence on us. Education is important to me because it was and still is very important in my household. Also with an education you can have a better job and with a good job comes money. I feel that money is not the main reason why an education is important but money is obviously immensely important. To get to my point, with money comes the opportunity to take care of the people around you, i.e. your children, parents, and anyone else who are important in your life. Individuals with master’s degrees make $1.3 million more than individuals with a high school diploma (US Census Bureau, 2010). Also, as we all know, most jobs no longer hire people unless they have a high school diploma or GED.
The second half of my educational philosophy is just as important as the first have. As an educator it is my duty to do whatever I can to make the student the best person he or she can be. As we discussed earlier in class teachers are also therapist, social workers, and friends. As educators we must look at for signs of abuse or distress. If possible we must help the student with council or any other way possible. This help may teach them to deal with problems and help them grow. Also, we must equip students with reasoning skills and problem solving skills that they will be able to use throughout their lives. We also must set an example of what a moral, rational, and ethical person can be.
As educators we are privileged to have an impact on student lives. We have the honor of guiding students at a particular point in their lives. We have great influence on their educational experience so this cannot be taken lightly. We have the opportunity to shape their lives and how they feel about school. I will try to illicit the best out of my students so they can become successful student and successful adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment